Centennial Peaks Hospital

Centennial Peaks Hospital
Let's Be More Than Just Pretty on the Outside! Let's Be Beautiful and Healing Within!

Everyone Deserves the Finest Health Care!

Everyone Deserves the Finest Health Care!
A Better Future for All Starting Now

Thursday, December 24, 2015

HOW I ESCAPED

First my husband and I were told I could be discharged on July 21. 

Then I was told it was not to be the case. Whether I was lied to in 

the first instance is not for sure, but something was strange. My 

liaison Nina with Mental Health Partners told me I did not have to 

make an appointment with a therapist as I felt I had been very well 

served in that area for nearly 25 years. But then the social worker 

said I would not be discharged unless I promised to go these 

appointments. She and Nina finally worked it out and I was 

discharged the next day. How did I achieve discharge?

The fact is, I knew I was still manic and indeed the next day after 

discharge I went to Dr. Rosenthal and I volunteered to take the 

following medications: 300 mg Seroquel, 35 mg Lithium orotate, 

150 mg Lithium carbonate, 240 mg Verapamil plus as needed .5mg 

Clonazapem. Yes, I have been willingly taking these heavy hitters, 

more drugs than in the unit because I believe that for the time 

being, they are just what I need.

I knew that in order to be discharged so I could get on the right  

meds before it was too late, I had to pull a reverse Nelly Bly (about 

her, see this post). With support from my husband and a co-patient I imagined it was  already the most sorrowful day of the Jewish year, 

Tisha b’Av. I dressed in  black. I put my unruly hair up in a neat 

bun. I applied conditioner to my hair and eyebrows. I stood 

differently. I walked more slowly. 


I spoke less. I was extra appreciative of staff. I got discharged  

despite being manic. Years of teaching safely while moody had 

turned me into a better actress than I thought I was. Yet the extra 

day of discharge was worthwhile. Because of this extra day I 

witnessed the instance of the violent patient that I can now share 

with the world at large. For this I am grateful. If I can help a single 

patient being tortured by this unit, my stay will not have been in 

vain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you have something you want to say about stopping bad psych wards or even about promoting good ones. Here’s the place.