Centennial Peaks Hospital

Centennial Peaks Hospital
Let's Be More Than Just Pretty on the Outside! Let's Be Beautiful and Healing Within!

Everyone Deserves the Finest Health Care!

Everyone Deserves the Finest Health Care!
A Better Future for All Starting Now

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Wrong Meds Part Six -- Vitamin C, 5HTP and More.

Altogether the ITU has fouled up horribly in 4 out of 5 of my medications (Seroquel was the only one they got right.) It also did not bother to find out what medications and supplements I was currently taking, something that is standard procedure in just about every doctor’s office and something that my husband and psychiatrist could have testified about. Even in mania, I would have been capable as well.

Psych wards as a whole have no excuse to be aware of the cheaper, less damaging and highly effective effects of vitamins, minerals and amino acids even when dealing with acute situations. I actually do not disagree with being given an initial anti-psychotic given my particular situation, but then next thing I would do if I were a doctor would be to have an aggressive nutritional approach.

There is also absolutely no reason for the unit not to provide patients with supplements such as Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium and B-3, each of which can by themselves turn around mania according to Edelman’s book and my own personal experience. All of these substances should have been in their pharmacy and if they are not, then it looks like the pharmacy needs an overhaul as well. They should have 5HTP on tap too because for some like me it beats all sleep medicines in its sedative qualities. But of course the doctor I mentioned to it had no clue about what it was. 

It's a shame he didn't know. 5HTP is not for everyone but it is special because it a very direct route for making more serotonin. Other methods like l-tryptophan are still competing with other amino acids that you ingest. For folks like me who crank out high levels of dopamine a counterbalance is achieved very nicely with the fast influx of serotonin. 


Shutting down Centennial Peaks Acute Impatent Unit is starting to sound pretty good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you have something you want to say about stopping bad psych wards or even about promoting good ones. Here’s the place.